Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Anchoress on Teddy: "Even when I was a Democrat, I didn’t much like Ted Kennedy, but I’ve always kind of felt bad for him. He may have power and money but the rest of the picture is pretty grim. I don’t believe he has any business sitting in judgement of Sam Alito or John Roberts or Clarence Thomas or any other public figure, for that matter (my whole turn rightward can be traced to the Clarence Thomas debacle, and the sight of Kennedy sitting there pretending outrage over the possibility that Thomas may have told a naughty joke, or asked a woman for a date) but on the other hand it cannot be easy to have spent so much of one’s life identifying the bodies of your dead siblings, nephews and nieces. It cannot be easy to know that the most promising lives were cut short, while he, the lesser and least of the clan, remains, with not much of a legacy.

The old saying is, you’re born with the face God gave you, you go out with the one you’ve earned. I find it almost unbearable, anymore, to look at Ted Kennedy"

Teddy is pathetic; and the Anchoress has pity. I read her partly to help turn my rage into a more merciful direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home