Friday, January 13, 2006

normblog on International Law & Iraq War: "If this is indeed the state of international law, if a regime which murders hundreds of thousands of its own people (to say nothing of the other cruelties the Baathist dictatorship was responsible for) may not be overthrown by outside intervention, then that is a law that needs to be opposed and changed - just like legal hangings, or amputations, for petty theft. From the very first time I publicly opened my mouth on this subject (see old normblog site, The War in Iraq, July 29 2003), I have maintained the same thing. I'm proud not to defend a law accommodating genocide and other massive human rights violations. I think that those who defend such law are in more of an oops-ish situation, if I may put it like that.

Finally, whether the Iraq war was illegal or not is not a fact of nature. It is, in a sense, a decision to be made."

Right. I think Bush should be rubbing the UN's nose in the on-going slo-mo genocide of Darfur -- and claiming that's the kind of genocide which passes, or it fails, the Dem's "Global Test." The world doesn't need such an impotent International Law.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home